Losing weight. We need it. We want it. We want it right now. But we only have one day, and that is today.
Why am I saying "We"? Who am I, Smeagle? That is right, I just used a LoTR reference. Yes, I have only seen LoTR all the way through once. No, I have never read the books. Listen, its a pop culture reference and WE are getting off topic.
The topic that we should focus on is the topic of this blog... weight loss. I created this blog for my own benefit really, a way to keep myself accountable, and to talk about my journey. I have no idea if anyone else will ever see this... What I do know is I won't be announcing it to my friends and family that I am writing all this down. So, if you do see this... Welcome to my journey, Stranger.
The funny thing about weight loss is it's hard to start. You would think that it would be super easy, I mean, who doesn't want to be healthier. That should be enough to do it. It seems fairly simple, don't eat so much crap, take a walk, make good choices. The reality is a little harder though, because those good choices, that walk, the absence of crap... it doesn't show up immediately.
All of these choices are for our future self, the self who is skinny, and healthy. The self who doesn't get winded walking up stairs at school. The self who can keep up with her S/O on a strenuous hike. The self who doesn't have a spare tire around her belly, making rolling a kayak pretty much impossible. The self who's feet do not hurt because of the extra 50 pounds she has been carrying around. The list goes on. This self is happy and healthy and loves where she is in life. But that isn't the self who is here today.
That version of the self is hungry, and stressed, and tired, and really likes hamburgers. That self is actually pretty happy at her current weight. She gets really good grades. She got into a KICK ASS graduate program. She is moving to Denver this summer. She has good friends. She has a really wonderful man who loves her. She wouldn't mind being skinnier either, but she also kind of likes to hang out on the couch and eat chips. And her voice has the potential to be a lot louder than the future self.
The goal is to drown out today's self, who is saying,
"Bitch! I am hungry now! Don't chicken wings sound SO GOOD!?"
and instead hear my future self's distant pleas for the reality that I actually want.
That is what the title of this blog means. We only have one day at a time... and there is a constant fight for it. One day... Meaning SOME day I will have the body I want. One day? Meaning, I only have ONE day to make good choices? What is the point, where are the results right now? One day! One day is enough, as long as I can drown out the short sighted self and listen to my future self.
I can only do one day at a time, one day of making good choices, one day to make a trip to the gym. And, here is the beauty of only having one day. When my short sighted self wins, and I eat everything in sight (like I did yesterday), that is only one day. I get to start over today!! And I can make good choices today!! I get to make the choices today that my skinny future self will appreciate. Yesterday is over. Today is now. Skinny self... I am listening.
No comments:
Post a Comment